Last changed: Version: 3.1
WASHINGTON METRO 3.1 VERSION IS AVAILABLE
The new version of Washington Metro application takes advantage of iPhone / iPod Touch OS 3.1 features.
- The application is fully compatible with Google Map. It is now possible to locate the nearest stations from your position on Google Map within the application, each station is represented by a red pin, a popup shows you the distance of localization for each station, and it's updated live via GPS as you walk in the streets of Washington!
- It is now possible to add new Point of Interest (POI) databases to Washington Metro application via in-app purchase. These options allow you to activate Fast Food POI, Restaurants POI, Coffee, Pastry & Ice Cream POI, Leisure POI and Accommodation POI in Washington. You will be able to locate all nearby POI on Google Map.
- Washington Metro Your New Eye. This new update features a unique augmented reality functionality (only available to Apple iPhone 3GS users) that enables you to see the nearest stations and POI! Elements located at a distance less than 1km (0,621miles) only will be displayed.
More screenshots of 3.1 features are available on http://www.presselite.com/iphone/washingtonmetro/
Washington Metro iPhone and iPod Touch Application is a comprehensive guide to traveling through Washington, DC.
- Detailed map of Washington subway. Landscape and portrait modes are available.
- Detailed map of most lines in Washington.
- Precise location of each station on the map (with a red circle), and also on Google Map.
- A bookmark manager allows you to save your stations and routes.
- The trip planner tool allows you to find automatically the best route to get to your destination in Washington Metro. Travel time is also estimated. To get better Route results, please switch into Best Route in the settings of the application.
- Interactive map to choose your stations for the route.
- The route planner included in this application does not require a network connection to operate, it works perfectly while in the subway.
- The application locates the nearest stations from your position in Washington. It is possible to increase or decrease the distance of localization in the settings.
- You can provide an address in Washington, the application indicates the stations closest to that address.
- Service Advisories (Live travel news) from Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority is available.
- The application is available in English, French, Spanish, Deutsch and Japanese.
- Updates already in work for this application.
Skyhook Wireless, provider of the Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS) on both iPhone and iPod touch, has chosen this application engine as a case study of interesting location based applications.
Thank you for taking the time to report any bugs or to request an enhancement to Washington Metro application. Feedback is very important to us. We will do our best to answer queries. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
By: HL3 - Mar 29, 2009
Though I have lived near Washington for years, I recently bought this in preparation for a trip to NYC. It made my life infinitely easier, as I was traveling with a child, and did not want to have to get up to check a map. I could time my trips better, double check routes, and explain where we were going to my son. Lots of apps have bells and whistles, but this one is actually useful.
By: TravelSmoothie - Mar 27, 2009
Love it! Just what I've been looking for! Keep up the good work! I'd love to see TIME updates. Thank You!
By: Nelson0954 - Mar 22, 2009
Excellent application for Washington subway.
By: redlinerider - Feb 6, 2009
I have iTrans DC, but prefer this app. Nicely done with a variety of options for finding your route. Updated to include service advisories, developer is responsive to feature requests. If they can add real-time arrival info, I'll give it 6 stars!
By: many time visitor - Jan 22, 2009
Well done app with lots of options for navigating the DC metro. Navigate by route map, "linear" map or station name. Also provides routing guide to transfer between lines to reach destination. Clever use of GPS function to locate nearest station. No crashes for me.
By: Duckie1013 - 10-Aug-2009
Very useful app, it's easy to use and does exactly what it says.
By: davidbcp - Oct 7, 2009
The app worked about as well as I could have expected. The only knock (and the designers cant really fix this) is that once the train is undergound, the tracking doesn't work. Other than that, the trip planner is pretty accurate and not having to carry a paper map is great. Definately the best app for the D.C. metro that i've found!
Very Nice and Helpful
By: Bowler421 - Jul 31, 2009
This app does exactly what it says and is very helpfully when trying to find your way around D.C. on the metro. The only thing is that the tab which located the closest metro station didn't work unless you were really close to one. Other than tht is works great.
Needs times but otherwise great
By: mikeshafer - Mar 29, 2009
Simple. Fast. If it had times for arrivals when a network connection is available it would be 5 stars.
By: TLaredo - Mar 29, 2009
This app is very useful. The only thing I don't like about it now is the map from the new update. could the makers please change the map back? I can't find what stop is closest to Georgetown and I don't know where the stops are geographacly. Thanks. otherwise this app is great.
Great app, but needs to add arrival times into the route function. That would make it perfect.
By: LEP21 - Feb 6, 2009
By: ClemsonPablo - Feb 6, 2009
Nice app, but...
By: Jeff JSF - Jan 28, 2009
Nice app, but would be a 5 star if it was updated to include station information to include operating hours, parking, etc.
By: wilder212 - Sep 26, 2009
While the new feature of augmented POI's seems like a pretty cool idea, to enable ANY POI it costs 99 cents. Which doesn't seem like that big of a deal but with so many FREE apps in the store that already do this, it seems like something that should be included for free once you've already bought the app.
Some definite turn offs - First, the map. It's the standard map of the Metro system but you CAN'T pinch zoom or double tap to see the entire map. All you can do is just move it with your finger. Second - you can't use the GPS location of the iPhone to find where you are and what the closest station is.
Some good points - it's nicely designed and fast. The map scrolling and stations lists are all quick and relatively easy to navigate around.
By: Whitehead1 - Aug 16, 2009
I mustve just assumed thatthere would be arrival times. What was I thinking? Other than that. It's fine. It does what it's meant to do.
Frustrated trying to find a Metro station while on the streets of Washington, DC
By: Mike_in_MD - Jun 13, 2009
I don't visit Washington as often as I would like, so I don't know the street addresses for the stations. But, I'd like to start going more and I'd like an App to help make these visits go more smoothly. Could be I still haven't figured out how best to use this App, but during my first trip I was frustrated while on the streets of Washington because the App didn't transition well to Goggle maps. Goggle map didn't support stretch (I need that to read street names without my reading glasses). The application should have automatically dropped a pin at the Metro stop (preferably an "End" Pin). It doesn't appear to support current location if you transition into Goggle Directions (Cell tower or GPS). If you are lost, you don't know what to type in the "Start/End Directions" lines. Plus, all of the required information is or could be in the iPhone, why do I need to type anything. So if you are lost in DC, the App appears unable to get you from where you are to the closest Metro. Overall, the application left me lost and frustrated. Since the App includes a lot of valuable information, I gave it a 3; its only average. With a couple small fixes it could be a 5.
It's all about the map!
By: face-to-face - Apr 4, 2009
Hum... I'm pretty sure that you had to remove the official Metro map due to licensing issues and the fact that you are making a profit off this app. However please talk to WMATA to bring back the real map, it's just so much more informative and polished.
Needs to do lot more
By: seeyazia - Mar 30, 2009
This is just a little more than a digital metro map. Useful, but may not be worth the price. It would be great if it could be paired up with something like AroundMe.
Could be better
By: Magdielis - Mar 30, 2009
I like the old map more it's better you guys should have something that tells you the arrival time of the metro and alternative routes also the instructions on how to get there should be easier
iTrans is better
By: zhoffman - Feb 2, 2009
iTrans DC does the same thing, but better. On top of that, while it might not have departure times, tube DC has all the area metro systems, not just the underground.
|Worldwide rank of Washington Metro in Travel|
|Reported by http://www.iPhoneAppsPlus.com Apr 20 2014 13:50:28 View Image|
|Country||Top Paid||Top Grossing|
| United States||131||-|
| Saudi Arabia||-||185|
| South Africa||249||192|
Create image of this report